On New Year’s Day, 1859, the first community “get-together” and sports meeting was held in the Torlesse grounds near the Rangiora Bush.
This was the start of a long series of New Year sports meetings which were a. feature of Rangiora for very many years.
Most of these meetings were held on the Rangiora Recreation Ground which was an old Provincial Council Reserve, the only sports ground available up to 1927. In that year a 13 1⁄2 acre block, centrally situated, became available from Archdeacon Dudley’s estate and was purchased, and so Dudley Park came into being.
This ground is available for football, cricket, hockey and netball and on it is situated a very fine swimming pool.