Communication was always a difficulty in the early days but on November 3, 1872; a broad gauge railway, 5ft 3in, was opened from Addington to Rangiora. This line was opened to Kaiapoi and then Southbrook earlier in the year. It was later extended to Amberley. The opening of the line marked a wonderful step forward in the progress of the district. This railway was converted to narrow gauge, 3ft 6in, on December 21, 1877, when that was adopted as the standard New Zealand gauge.